Friday, July 30, 2010

Let Us Not Fear


A letter from George Whitefield to the Welsh evangelist, Howell Harris. Whitefield was soon to be in Wales. Whitefield spoke of the opposition they both faced in preaching the gospel but rejoiced in the care extended to him by Christ. The letter was written from London, June 6, 1741.

Outward enemies are now more quiet. Enemies within the church, carnal professors, and self-righteous Pharisees, most try us. Let us not fear, JESUS CHRIST will give us the victory over all. God mightily strengthens me. Our congregations are very large and solemn. I never had greater freedom in preaching. God enables me to cast all my care upon him, with a full assurance that he careth for me.

Letters of George Whitefield: For the Period 1734-1742, The Banner of Truth Trust, 1976, reprinted from The Works of George Whitefield, 1771, p. 268.

No comments: