Tuesday, September 25, 2007

It Is A Wonder

Extract from a letter by the New England Baptist preacher, John Leland, to Rev. John Taylor, Dec. 10, 1830:

On a serious reflection, I cannot much condemn myself, that I have not devoted as much of my time in my ministerial labors, as human and civil duties admitted; but, have much cause of self-condemnation when I reflect on the languor of soul, and indifference of spirit that have beset me when preaching eternal realities. It is a wonder that ever a holy God should have crowned my imperfect labors with any success; and yet, amidst all, I have great joy to think that I have not altogether ‘run in vain, nor labored in vain.’

The Writings of the Late Elder John Leland, 1845, reprinted by Church History Research and Archives, 1986, p. 602.

No comments: