Wednesday, October 24, 2007

The Frowns of Heaven

From the pen of Jonathan Edwards to the Scottish pastor, Thomas Gillespie, about his removal as pastor from his Northampton Church, written on April 2, 1750:

I desire your prayers that I may take a suitable notice of the frowns of heaven on me and this people (between whom was once so great an union), in the bringing to pass such a separation between us; and that these troubles may be sanctified to me; that God would overrule this event for his own glory (which doubtless many adversaries will rejoice and triumph in), that God would open a door for my future usefulness, and provide for me and my numerous family, and take a fatherly care of us in our present unsettled, uncertain circumstance, being cast on the wide world.

Jonathan Edwards: Letters and Personal Writings, edited by George S. Claghorn, vol. 16 in The Works of Jonathan Edwards, Yale University Press, 1998, p. 339.

No comments: