Monday, March 17, 2008

A Son At Home Yet Unconverted

A letter by Daniel Baker to his unconverted son at home in Holly Springs, Mississippi. The letter was written while Mr. Baker was away preaching in Pulaski, Tennessee, May 12, 1842:

My Dear Son – I have preached fifteen sermons in this place already; I preach in the morning and at night. The people come out in crowds. I think I never say people turn out better in any place where I have been; and I am happy to say, we have the prospect of a very great and blessed work of grace here. There is a very general awakening, and some ten or twelve persons have already professed conversion. We hope this number will be considerably increased within a few days. How strange! Your father is made the instrument of the conversion of many abroad, and there is a dear son at home yet unconverted. O, my dear son, how happy would I be to be made your spiritual father, even as I am your own father in a natural sense. May dear boy, do not neglect your precious soul.

God bess you, my son: and may you be happy in time, and through all eternity.

Your ever affectionate father,
Daniel Baker

Making Many Glad: The Life and Labours of Daniel Baker, by William M. Baker, first published in 1858, reprinted by the Banner of Truth, 2000, p. 288.

No comments: