Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Free Mercy!


A selection from a letter by the Welsh preacher, Thomas Charles (1755-1814), to his wife, Sally Jones Charles. He going was through a difficult time and felt very much his weakness and corruption. He referred to verses in Romans 7 several times in this letter and wondered how the Lord could use him, seeing that he was so depraved and sinful. But his soul was lifted up in contemplating God's mercy. No date is given for the letter.

Blessed be the Lord, that his mercy is free. Guilt and unworthiness are obstacles which it easily surmounts. Nothing but free mercy could save my soul, or bring me this moment one drop of comfort. I have no comfort in myself; but I can see infinite consolations in God, and I long after a fuller enjoyment of them. I am a burden to myself; but I am happy in looking to that glorious deliverance from self, etc. which Christ hath procured for all his people.

Thomas Charles' Spiritual Counsels: Selected from His Letter and Papers, by Edward Morgan, first published in 1836 and republished by Banner of Truth Trust, 1993, pp. 299-300.

No comments: