Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Daily Questions

A portion of a letter from George Whitefield to James Habersham, the man in charge of the Orphanage in Savannah, Georgia that Whitefield helped to establish and raised funds to support. He gave thanks for the sovereign love of Christ and exhorted his friend to join him in living fully to the Lord. The letter was written February 18, 1741.

O the sovereign love of Christ in choosing me! My dear friend, let us study to be holy even as he is holy, and walk even as he also walked. Let these be your daily questions, 'Am I more like Christ? Am I more meek and patient? Does my practice correspond with my knowledge, and am I a light to enlighten and enflame all that are around me?'

Letters of George Whitefield: For the Period 1734-1742, The Banner of Truth Trust, 1976, reprinted from The Works of George Whitefield, 1771, pp. 247-48.

No comments: