Wednesday, November 5, 2008

On Ill Terms with Myself

A selection from a letter by John Newton to his close friend, Rev. William Bull, who was pastor of a dissenting congregation about five miles from Olney. This letter was written in the cold of winter (January 27, 1778), when Newton said “cold predominates in my frostbound spirit.”

I have reason to be upon ill terms with myself. It is strange that pride should ever find any thing in my experience to feed upon; but this completes my character for folly, vileness, and inconsistence, that I am not only poor but proud; and, though I am convinced I am a very wretch, as nothing before the Lord, I am prone to go forth among my fellow-creatures as though I were wise and good.

Letters of John Newton: with Biographical Sketches and Notes, by Josiah Bull, reprinted by the Banner of Truth, p. 301.

No comments: