Monday, November 10, 2008

Standing Up For Christ

A selection from a letter by Augusta Toplady to a pastor in New York. He was encouraged to know that there were faithful Church of England men ministering in America. Mr. Toplady, an opponent of Pelagianism and Arminianism, commented on defending the gospel in his letter. It was written on September 6, 1773.

I can never sufficiently bless God for giving me to see the day when I can truly affirm that I care not whom I displease when the inestimable truths of his gospel are at stake. His providence has rendered me independent on any but himself; and his grace enables me to act accordingly. I must likewise add, as a still further motive to my gratitude, that the bolder I am in his cause, the more he gives me the affections of those to whom I minister, and with whom I am connected. Where I have lost one friend by standing up for Christ, I have gained a multitude.

The Works of Augustus Toplady, Bookshelf Publications, reprint from the 1794 edition, p. 847.

No comments: