Thursday, September 10, 2009

In the Midst of Troubles and Difficulties


From the pen of Jonathan Edwards to the Scottish pastor, Thomas Gillespie, after his removal as pastor from his church in Northampton. He explained to his friend the causes of his dismissal and then expressed thanks for the prayers of his Scottish brethren. The letter was written from Stockbridge, the place of his new ministry, July 1, 1751.

I have much to teach me to behave as a pilgrim and stranger on the earth. But in the midst of troubles and difficulties, I receive many mercies. Particularly I have great reason, with abundant thankfulness, to take notice of the great kindness of friends in Scotland. Blessed be God who never forsakes those that trust in him, and never wants instruments for the conveyance of his goodness and liberality to those who suffer in his cause…

Remember me, dear Sir, at the throne of grace, with regard to all my trials, and with regard to my new circumstances, and the important service I have undertaken in this place…

Jonathan Edwards: Letters and Personal Writings, edited by George S. Claghorn, vol. 16 in The Works of Jonathan Edwards, Yale University Press, 1998, p. 387.

No comments: