Friday, December 26, 2008

Such a Victory

A selection from a letter by Francis Ridley Havergal, the beloved hymn writer, to a clerical friend and his wife, written on Christmas day, 1873.

Several times lately I have felt literally overwhelmed and overpowered with the realization of God’s unspeakable goodness to me. I say it deliberately, and with thankfulness and joy for which I have no words; I have not a fear, or a doubt, or a care, or a shadow of a shadow upon the sunshine of my heart. Every day brings some quite new cause for praise; only today He has given me such a victory as I never had before, in a very strong temptation, lifted me above it in a way I never experienced yet. And I believe He will ‘keep’ me henceforth as I never before believed possible.

Letters by the Late Frances Ridley Havergal, edited by her sister, Maria V. G. Havergal, first published in 1885, reprinted by Kessinger Publishing, p. 139.

No comments: