Monday, January 12, 2009

Preaching to the Unsaved

A selection from a letter by A. W. Pink to his good friend, Lowell Green. The letter was written on March 19, 1939.

In preaching to the unsaved I never did anything more than I do in my articles: presented the truth of God so far as I knew it, and left the Holy Spirit to apply and bless it as he saw well. I never held any ‘after meetings,’ never asked sinners to signify by any outward sign they had accepted Christ or desired to be prayed for. If any waited behind to speak with me, I told them frankly I could not help them, and urged them to go home and read God’s Word. Nor did Spurgeon use any of these Arminian methods of ‘casting out the net,’ ‘penitent forms,’ etc., for the simple but sufficient reason that neither Christ nor his apostles ever did so! Needless to say I was often criticized: yet God was pleased to honour my faith as the Day to come will show.

The Life of Arthur W. Pink, Revised and Enlarged Edition, Iain H. Murray, Banner of Truth, 2004, pp. 174-75.

No comments: