Wednesday, May 27, 2009

My Only Daily Remedy



A selection from a letter by the Welsh preacher, Thomas Charles, to a friend. The letter focuses on the necessity of forgiveness, bestowed and received. There had been a misunderstanding between them and he sought her forgiveness. The letter was written April 9, 1802.

If I have trespassed, you must freely forgive me, and then we are friends again. The doctrine of forgiveness, whether received or bestowed, is very suitable to us in the world, full of failings; and continual infirmities as we all are. It is my only daily remedy. Were it not for pardon, dearly bought, but freely bestowed upon me, a guilty wretch, daily, I should sink in a moment into all the gloom of eternal despair. But “there is forgiveness,” and we “have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sin,” and that “according to the riches of His grace.” Charming words! Though utterly ruined, we are thus made up for ever.

Thomas Charles’ Spiritual Counsels: Selected from his Letters and Papers, by Edward Morgan, first published in 1836, reprinted by the Banner of Truth, 1993, p. 303.

No comments: