Wednesday, November 4, 2009

If God Has Given Me Christ


A selection from a letter by the Welsh preacher, Thomas Charles, to his wife to be, Miss Sarah Jones. Charles expressed a thought that brought him comfort in the midst of trials that might enable her bare up during times of trial. The letter was written June 5, 1780.

As to your complaints, I shall be always glad to hear them with attention, and esteem myself very happy to bear a part of your burden. I could likewise repeat numberless complaints in return; but instead of that, permit me to mention my ‘cordial,’ which, amidst all my complaints, helps me to many a quiet thought and many a sound sleep, which is—‘If God has given me Christ, what can I have to complain of?’ But then you must know, that I take him as a free gift, and attempt to cast myself wholly upon him; and according to Luther’s advice, throw all I am and do into one heap, and lay it down at the foot of his cross. O! He has a world of merit in his hands for you, for me, and a gracious heart to bestow it…

Thomas Charles’ Spiritual Counsels: Selected from his Letters and Papers, by Edward Morgan, first published in 1836, reprinted by the Banner of Truth, 1993, p. 234.

No comments: