Thursday, November 12, 2009

Sweet and Easy is the Cross of my Lord


A portion of a letter by Samuel Rutherford, to Alexander Gordon, written early in his exile to prison for the cause of Christ in Aberdeen, Scotland, September 5, 1636.

The Lord is with me, I care not what man can do. I burden no man, and I want nothing; no king is better provided than I am; sweet, sweet and easy is the cross of my Lord; all men I look in the face, of whatsoever rank, nobles and poor, acquaintance and strangers, are friendly to me. My Well-beloved is kinder and more warm than ordinary, and cometh and visiteth my soul; my chains are over-gilded with gold… No pen, no words, no engine [ability], can express to you the loveliness of my only, only Lord Jesus…

Letters of Samuel Rutherford: A Selection, The Banner of Truth Trust, the first edition of letters was published in 1664, this selection was published in 1973, p. 42.

No comments: