Thursday, December 17, 2009

Sad Errors


A letter from George Whitefield to the Welsh evangelist, Howell Harris. Whitefield was in Boston but expecting to return to England soon. He wrote of concerns with the theology of John Wesley and his influence on friends at Fetters Lane Society. The letter was written September 24, 1740.

And is dear Brother H[owell] H[arris] yet alive in body and soul? Blessed be God, who causes those that wait on him to renew their strength. I rejoice in your success; may you mount with wings like eagles, walk and not be weary, run and not be faint! You shall not be taken or hurt, till the appointed hour is come.

I hope your conversation was blessed to dear Mr. W[esley]. O that the LORD may batter down his freewill, and compel him to own his sovereignty and everlasting love! Some of F[etters] Lane society, I fear, are running into sad errors; but this happens for our trial, especially mine. Those that before, I suppose, would have plucked out their eyes for me, now I suspect, I shall see very shy, and avoiding me. This is my comfort, the LORD is a never-failing friend; his truth will make its way in spite of all carnal reasoning. O pray for me that I may have the spirit of judgment and a sound mind…

Letters of George Whitefield: For the Period 1734-1742, The Banner of Truth Trust, 1976, reprinted from The Works of George Whitefield, 1771, p. 210.

No comments: