Wednesday, July 2, 2008

I Love to Write to My Dear

A letter from the Lord Protector of England, Oliver Cromwell, to his wife, written from Edinburgh, May 3, 1651:

My Dearest,

I could not satisfy myself to omit this post, although I have not much to write; yet indeed I love to write to my Dear, who is very much in my heart. It joys me to hear thy soul prospereth: the Lord increase his favours to thee more and more. The great good thy soul can wish is, that the Lord lift upon thee the light of his countenance, which is better than life. The Lord bless all thy good counsel and example to all those about thee, and hear all thy prayers, and accept thee always.


'To Honor God:' The Spiritually of Oliver Cromwell, edited and introduced by Michael A. G. Haykin, Joshua Press, 1999, p. 87.

No comments: