Monday, January 4, 2010

I Have A Great Concern For Your Soul's Salvation


A portion of a letter by Ruth Bryan to an unconverted friend. Three letters to this man, known as Mr. J. A., appear in the book. She told him, “I long for your salvation, and still mention you to the King to whom power belongeth.” She not only witnessed to him and urged him to believe on Christ, she prayed for his salvation. This particular letter was written in December, 1855. After telling him of all the things that Christ does for needy sinners, she wrote:

Perhaps you will say, ‘And what is all this to me?’ Why, it is this to you, beloved – without these things you must perish forever. Should you ask, ‘What have you to do with it?’ I answer, ‘I have a great concern for your soul’s salvation.’ But you may object, ‘The things you have spoken of are for God’s chosen people, and I do not know that I am one.’ You do not know that you are not one, and should rather say, ‘Why not, my soul? Why not for Thee?’ And though they are a free gift not to be obtained by any creature power, yet ask God to give them to you. Ask Him to give you the Holy Spirit to make you feel your need of them. Oh may that Holy Spirit

Convince you of your sin,
Then lead to Jesus’ blood;
And to your wondering soul reveal
The secret love of God
.

That you may have an experimental knowledge and enjoyment of these things, is the earnest and affectionate desire of yours very sincerely,

R. Bryan.

Jeremiah 6:16, but I hope not the last clause.

The Marvelous Riches of Savoring Christ: Letters of Ruth Bryan, with a Preface by the Rev. A. Moody Stuart, Reformation Heritage Books, 2005, pp. 134-35.

No comments: