Monday, April 26, 2010

Sweet Rod


A portion of a letter by Robert Murray M’Cheyne to W. C. Burns, a Scottish Presbyterian minister that went to China in 1848 as a missionary. He was recovering from sickness when M’Cheyne wrote this letter of thanks and encouragement. The letter was written June 10, 1840.

I am truly thankful that you have been raised up again—renewed, I trust, both in the inner and outer man. “I will cause you to pass under the rod, and I will bring you into the bond of the covenant” [Ezk. 20:37]. Sweet rod that drives the soul into such a precious resting place! “I will visit their iniquity with stripes; nevertheless, my loving–kindness I will not take from him” [Psa. 89:32-33]. This has been the experience of the greater part of my life, at least of my spiritual life. Remember Edwards’ magnificent resolution: “Resolved to improve afflictions to the uttermost.” Spread the sail when the breeze of adversity blows, and let it drive your vessel onwards on its course.

Robert Murray M’Cheyne: Memoir and Remains, Andrew A. Bonar, first published in 1884, reprinted by the Banner of Truth, 1966, p. 94.

No comments: