Monday, August 3, 2009

The Use of Means


A selection from a letter by Augusta Toplady to Ambrose Serle, a “dear and ever respected friend.” Toplady once said, “Letters are but conversation committed to paper.” This “conversation” was written July 8, 1774.

Sure I am, that God will incline the scale (and not this only, but every other, to the end of time) so as shall conduce to his own glory, and to the accomplishment of his own purpose. It is ours to use the means, in a dependence on his absolute providence; to bless the means used, is his. With him, all events must be ultimately rested; and I trust I can say, ex animo [from the heart], with him I ever wish and desire to rest them; nor would I ever have a single incident removed out of his hand, were I possessed of all power both in heaven and earth.

The Works of Augustus Toplady, Bookshelf Publications, reprint from the 1794 edition, p. 859.

No comments: