Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Anxious Cries for Your Salvation


A selection from a letter by Mary Jones, wife of the Rev. Charles Colcock Jones. She wrote her son Charles about a cousin who had given himself to drink. She exhorted her son against the sin of intemperance. She said, "I honestly believe that every man who takes a glass, saving in cases of sickness or ill health, or who makes a practice of offering it to his friends, is treading the broad road to ruin himself and drawing others along with him." Since he was not yet converted to Christ, she also pleaded with him, as she often did in her letters, to be saved. The letter was written February 28, 1860.

Have you read the paper I put into your hands as we parted [a tract, perhaps]? Daily does my soul go out to the precious Saviour in anxious cries for your salvation. When, my son, are you going to consider the interests of your immortal soul? Are you daily reading the Word of God? Do you pray? I know that the Holy Spirit alone can enlighten your heart and new create it, but you must "seek if you would find," "knock if you would have the door of mercy opened." Will you not say with the Psalmist: "Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. Wash me thoroughly from mine iniquities. Blot out my sins, and remember no more my transgressions."

The Children of Pride: A True Story of Georgia and the Civil War, edited by Robert Manson Myers, Yale University Press, 1972, pp. 564-65.

No comments: