Tuesday, June 8, 2010

The Worth of My Lord Jesus


A selection from a letter by Samuel Rutherford, written from prison in Aberdeen, Scotland, to William Semple. As he often did, Rutherford spoke of his great delight in knowing Christ and of the joy he experienced in contemplating the wonderful love of Jesus. The letter was written July 10, 1637.

Oh that my adversaries knew how sweet my sighs for Christ are, and what it is for a sinner to lay his head between Christ's breasts, and to be over head and ears in Christ's love! Alas, I cannot cause paper to speak the height, and breadth, and depth of it! I have not a balance to weigh the worth of my Lord Jesus. Heaven, ten heavens, would not be the beam of a balance to weigh Him in. I must give over praising Him…

Letters of Samuel Rutherford, With a Sketch of his Life and Biographical Notices of His Correspondents, by Andrew A. Bonar, first published in 1664, reprinted by the Banner of Truth, 1984, p. 436.

No comments: